Before you start
Thinking about seeking certification on System Administration for IBM Informix version 11.70 (Exam 919)? If so, you've landed in the right spot to get started. This series of IBM Informix certification preparation tutorials covers all the topics you'll need to understand before you read that first exam question. Even if you're not seeking certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in IBM Informix 11.70.
In this tutorial, you'll learn about how to use the IBM Informix tools to create dbspaces, sbspaces, and temporal dbspaces. You'll learn to create and manage table fragmentation and to use storage-optimization features, such as compression. The material provided here primarily covers the objectives in Section 2 of the exam, entitled Space Management.
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Create dbspaces and sbspaces
- Add chunks to a dbspace or sbspace
- Rename dbspaces
- Mirror a dbspace or sbspace in chunks
- Use table fragmentation
- Use attach or detach to add or remove fragments to a fragmented table
- Use data compression to optimize storage
To understand the material presented in this tutorial, you must be familiar with the following:
- The IBM Informix environment (configuration file and parameters, installation, and administration)
- Database server commands (onstat, onmode, oncheck, dbschema)
- IBM Informix concepts and terminology (dbspaces, chunks, physical log, logical logs, checkpoint, and so on)
You do not need a copy of IBM Informix to complete this tutorial. However, you will get more out of the tutorial if you download the free trial version of Informix Innovator-C Edition (see Resources) to work along with this tutorial.