Before you start
Thinking about seeking certification on DB2 fundamentals (Exam 730)? If so, you've landed in the right spot. This series of seven DB2 certification preparation tutorials covers all the basics -- the topics you'll need to understand before you read the first exam question. Even if you're not planning to seek certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in DB2 9.
This tutorial introduces you to the basics of the DB2 9 products and tools, along with concepts that describe different types of data applications, data warehousing, and OLAP. It discusses how to use the Control Center, which is the central management tool for DB2 data servers. This tutorial also shows you how to use the Configuration Assistant, which lets you easily work with existing databases, add new ones, bind applications, set client configuration and registry parameters, and import and export configuration profiles.
This is the first in a series of seven tutorials designed to help you prepare for the DB2 9 Family Fundamentals Certification (Exam 730). The material in this tutorial primarily covers the objectives in Section 1 of the test, "Planning." You can view these objectives at: http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/obj730.shtml.
After completing this tutorial, you should understand:
- The different versions of DB2, and the various DB2 products.
- The tools that are included with DB2.
- How to use the Control Center to manage systems, DB2 instances, databases, database objects, and more.
- How the Configuration Assistant lets you maintain a list of databases to which your applications can connect, manage, and administer.
- All of the standalone tools in the Control Center and the Configuration Assistant.
- What data warehousing is, and the DB2 products available to assist with data warehousing.
The process of installing DB2 is not covered in this tutorial. If you haven't already done so, we strongly recommend that you download and install a copy of DB2 Express - C. Installing DB2 will help you understand many of the concepts that are tested on the DB2 9 Family Fundamentals Certification exam. The installation process is documented in the Quick Beginnings books, which can be found at the DB2 Technical Support Web site under the Technical Information heading.
You do not need a copy of DB2 to complete this tutorial. However, you will get more out of the tutorial if you download the free trial version of IBM DB2 9 to work along with this tutorial.