A key aspect of the IBM® DB2® pureScale® solution is related to the capabilities of the underlying storage. The storage must not only provide best-of-breed performance but must also possess best-of-breed availability characteristics. In addition, the DB2 pureScale Feature takes advantage of specific storage capabilities to enhance the solution. This paper takes you through the value proposition of deploying DB2 pureScale databases on EMC® Symmetrix® VMAX® storage arrays, demonstrating a solution that meets the needs of even the most demanding businesses.
The DB2 pureScale feature helps to meet the availability and capacity needs of your organization by providing the following:
- Extreme capacity. The ability to scale out your system by easily adding additional server systems to your cluster.
- Application transparency. The ability to use your existing applications with minimal or no changes.
- Continuous availability. The inherent redundancy that an active-active architecture provides.
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO). Savings through simplified deployment and management of advanced technology.
In this paper
- DB2 pureScale Feature exploitation of storage
- DB2 cluster services tiebreaker disk
- Ultra-fast failover using SCSI-3 persistent reserve
- Device drivers and storage protocols
- Multipath I/O drivers
- Supported storage subsystems
- Configuring EMC Symmetrix VMAX for pureScale storage
- Validation matrix
- Advantages of using the DB2 pureScale Feature
- Deploying the DB2 pureScale Feature on an EMC Symmetrix VMAX storage array
- Validating the configuration of a DB2 pureScale deployment
- Configuring multipath I/O with EMC Symmetrix VMAX in a pureScale environment
- Configuring AIX MPIO for VMAX
- Configuring the Device Mapper Multipath module on Linux operating systems
- Enabling and testing SCSI-3 PR with Symmetrix EMC VMAX storage controllers
- Appendix A. Storage provisioning in Symmetrix VMAX with Enginuity code 5874 and higher
- Appendix B. List of references for more information
|Article in PDF format||Deploying_DB2_pureScale_with_EMC_Symmetrix_VMAX.pdf||985 KB|
- Visit the IBM DB2 10.1 Information Center.
- Visit the IBM DB2 pureScale Feature Information Center.
- Learn more about the storage configurations validated with the DB2 pureScale Feature.
- Learn more about deploying the DB2 pureScale Feature on Linux.This is an excellent paper on how to deploy a DB2 pureScale cluster in a Linux environment.
- DB2 best practices: SAP applications with the DB2 pureScale Feature on SUSE.
- EMC product and technical documentation:
- Symmetrix CLI Quick Reference Guide
- Symmetrix Array Controls CLI
- Host Connectivity Guide for Linux
- Storage Provisioning: Transitioning to EMC Symmetrix VMAX Auto-provisioning groups. This white paper, available from the EMC Powerlink site, provides a comprehensive introduction to the VMAX storage provisioning model using Auto-provisioning Groups.
- Visit the developerWorks Information Management zone to find more resources for DB2 developers and administrators.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Attend a free developerWorks Live! briefing to get up-to-speed quickly on IBM products and tools as well as IT industry trends.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
- Watch developerWorks on-demand demos ranging from product installation and setup demos for beginners, to advanced functionality for experienced developers.
Get products and technologies
- Build your next development project with IBM trial software, available for download directly from developerWorks.
- Evaluate IBM products in the way that suits you best: Download a product trial, try a product online, use a product in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement Service Oriented Architecture efficiently.
- Get involved in the My developerWorks community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.