IBM® DB2® 9 (previously codenamed 'Viper') for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows® marks a new stage in the evolution of data servers. This article introduces you to many of DB2 9's capabilities and summarizes the information included in the Introducing DB2 9 series of articles.
In this article
- pureXML™ and hybrid data services for powering SOA environments
- Advanced data compression services for reducing storage costs
- Self-tuning memory for optimizing dynamic workloads
- Autonomic computing enhancements for easier management
- Label-based access security services for stronger data protection
- New table partitioning for greater scalability and flexibility
- Application development ability for improved productivity
- Other improvements
IBM has continually led the data management industry with the release of innovative technology – starting with Information Management System (IMS) in the 1960s, invention of relational database model and Structured Query Language (SQL) in the 1970s, DB2 for the mainframe in 1980s, and now with DB2 9, a new generation of data server that fundamentally transforms the way information is managed as a strategic asset within the business. This version of DB2, probably the most significant DB2 release ever, takes data services to new levels by lowering costs, delivering greater agility, and improving business insight, making DB2 9 an essential ingredient of the information as a service infrastructure.
|Article in PDF format||DB2_9Unveiled.pdf||1.35 MB|
- Read the series Introducing DB2 9 on developerWorks.
- Read more articles and tutorials about DB2 9 on developerWorks.
Get products and technologies
- Now you can use DB2 for free. Download DB2 Express-C, a no-charge version of DB2 Express Edition for the community that offers the same core data features as DB2 Express Edtion and provides a solid base to build and deploy applications.
- Download DB2 9 to try out the concepts described in this article.