When using Lifecycle Manager 10.1, the status on some reports that require prompt values are automatically set to 'New' instead of 'Prompt Values Missing' for Cognos reports using SAP BW as reporting data source. This document will assist you to address this issue.
The techniques shown and discussed in this document were validated using:
- IBM Cognos LifeCycle Manager 10.1, IBM Cognos BI 220.127.116.11, IBM Cognos LifeCycle Manager 10.1 and IBM Cognos BI 10.1.4707.544
Immediately after creating an Lifecycle Manager (LCM) 'Validation Project', the status on some reports that require prompt values are automatically set to 'New' instead of 'Prompt Values Missing'. The icon 'Open Parameter Viewer' along with the 'Prompt Values' tab (within the report properties) is not displayed, making it impossible to capture or modify the prompt values. This behavior is the same in both 'Source' (e.g IBM Cognos 8.4) and 'Target' (e.g IBM Cognos 10.1).
After executing 'Validate in Source', the status changes from 'New' to 'Fail' with a description of : Unable to complete action for this report because there were unfulfilled prompts. Please verify the report's prompt values.
This behavior can happen when Cognos environment does not have ‘signon’ created for SAP BW data source connections. Often, this is required for customers who are using SAP BW reporting environment to force end-users entering their SAP credentials whenever executing interactive or batch reports against SAP BW.
What needs to be done is to embedding the data source connection signon for specific user (for example, LifeCycle Manager admin user) to SAP BW data source allows SAP prompt variables to be displayed properly in LifeCycle Manager.
Lifecycle Manager Validate screen showing the status of a report as 'New'
Steps in creating a signon for a SAP BW connection
- Log in to IBM Cognos Administration, click on the Configuration tab and then Data Source Connections.
- Click down on the SAP DW connection till you are at the screen with the database user signons.
Data Source Connection screen on the Configuration tab in IBM Cognos Administration
- Click ‘New Signon’ button near the top right of the screen and provide the same name as data source connection. Click Next.
New signon wizard
- Enter in the SAP credentials. Click Next.
New Signon wizards ID and password screen
- Assign the SAP credential to same user who is administering LifeCycle Manager. Click on the Add link to add the user. Once complete click on Finish.
Now test the report in Cognos Connection. Login as the user that has the SAP credential assigned to it.
Test in Lifecycle Manager
- Create a new project.
- Click on the Configure button and configure both source and target.
- Make sure above user, that was in Section 2.1 step 5, is used to connect with both source and target. Test the connection to make sure they worn and save connection.
- Now generate report list, notice that LifeCycle Manager now displays correct status as ‘prompt values missing’.
Lifecycle Manager Screen showing a report with the status 'Prompt Value Missing'