This is part of a group of documents and examples commonly referred to as the System Management Methodology (SMM). The SMM provides information and techniques as examples of how an administrator uses the standard features of IBM Cognos Administration along with IBM Cognos Business Intelligence functionality in order to increase their own productivity and pro-actively manage IBM Cognos BI applications, users, and servers. By combining the live view of IBM Cognos BI system activity provided by the IBM Cognos Administration features with system trending information using the reporting and analytical features of IBM Cognos BI, administrators can get a full view of BI system utilization.
Additional information about the Administrative features of IBM Cognos BI are available within the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence Administration and Security Guide.
The documented information and technique(s) apply to all IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 10.1.1, 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 installations. Although precautions are taken to ensure that the information and technique(s) span newer releases, some of the content may become obsolete and/or no longer applicable.
Content found in an appendix pertains to previously released System Management Methodology topics/techniques that have been replaced with a newer technique. The newer technique(s) will appear in the regular chapters of the document. When a new topic/technique is added that replaces a technique, it will be highlighted in the document.
Exclusions and Exceptions
The scope of the documents in this series may not include detailed steps on how to use the product as this information is contained within the core product documentation. For example, the document “System Management Methodology For IBM Cognos 10 – Setting Metric Thresholds” deals with thresholds that can be applied to the system metrics. The document offers guidance on how to interpret those metrics to apply default thresholds programmatically but does not include the actual steps required to manually set or modify a threshold.
Installing the SMM Samples
In order to start using the IBM Cognos BI samples provided as part of the SMM, you must first complete the following steps,
- Create the database to be used for system trending and reporting
- Create the data source connection to access the system trending database
- Unzip the SMM–Version4.zip file and import the sample reports to IBM Cognos BI
Create a System Trending Database
A system trending database is used to collect IBM Cognos system metrics over time. Once system metrics have been collected, IBM Cognos BI reports, charts, and dashboards can be created to provide administrators with an understanding of BI system utilization. In order to be compatible with all examples within the SMM, create a table named “METRICS” with the following columns:
|Column Name||Data Type(size)||Allow Nulls?|
Data Source Connection
Before the system trending dashboards can be leveraged, a data source connection must be created through the administration console. This is a regular database connection that points to the system trending database instance.
- From within Cognos Connection, click Launch > IBM Cognos Administration to open the IBM Cognos Administration console.
- Click the Configuration tab then click the Data Source Connections task.
- Click on the New Data Source toolbar icon.
- Type the name System Trending when prompted with the “Specify a name and description – New Data Source wizard” dialog.
- Click Next.
- When prompted with the “Specify the connection – New Data Source wizard” dialog, use the drop down menu to select the database connection type that corresponds to your system trending database.
- Click Next.
- The next dialog that is presented contains the connection details required to access the system metrics database. Items such as user name, password as well as the database name and server need to be typed.
- Once the required parameters have been supplied, it is possible to test the connection by clicking the Test the connection... link.
- After successfully testing the connection click Finish.
Deploying the SMM Samples to Cognos Connection
Once the database connection has been established for the system trending database, the SMM samples can be deployed into the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence environment.
- The SMM samples are provided as a zipped file archive called SMM-Version4.zip. Download and copy this file onto one of your IBM Cognos 10 BI installation locations (eg. <install_volume>/IBM/cognos/c10).
- Unzip the files and directories from the SMM-Version4.zip archive file to your IBM Cognos BI installation location. You will now have a new directory within your BI install location called System Management Methodology. The contents of the SMM-Version4.zip file are as follows:
/System Management Methodology /Content Packages System Management Dashboard.zip System Management Methodology.zip /FM Models /Audit (SMM) /System Trending (SMM for DB2) /System Trending (SMM) /Images /SDK Applications /MetricLoad CogSystemMetricAnalyzer.zip
- Copy the System Management Methodology.zip deployment file to the <install_location>/deployment directory.
- From within IBM Cognos Connection make sure that there is a folder in the Public Folders called System Management Methodology. If one is present, continue on to the next step. Otherwise, click the New folder icon from the toolbar and create a folder called ‘System Management Methodology’.
- The access permissions on the System Management Methodology folder will become the basis for all of the imported content that will be contained beneath it. The recommendation is to set the access permissions for this folder to permit access for only the System and Server administrators, but the level of access depends on the environment in which this content is deployed and your specific administrative user requirements.
- Click the Properties icon for the System Management Methodology folder to modify access permissions as needed for your environment. The System Administrators role should have full permissions (Read, Write, Execute, Set Policy, and Traverse), and Server Administrators are granted Read, Write, Execute, and Traverse permissions. Ensure that the checkbox to override the access permission acquired from the parent entry is checked.
Figure 1. System Administrator and Server Administrator permissions for the System Management Methodology folder
- Some of the reports leverage images that were included as part of the methodology. To ensure that the images can be accessed within your environment and that the sample report integrity is maintained:
- On the web server, use Windows Explorer and browse to the <install_location>\webcontent\samples directory.
- Locate the directory called images. If it doesn’t exist, create a directory called images.
- Copy the files located in <install_location>\System Management Methodology\Images to the <install_location>\webcontent\samples\images directory.
- From within IBM Cognos Connection, click Launch > IBM Cognos Administration to open the IBM Cognos Administration console.
- Click the Configuration tab click the Content Administration task.
- Click the New Import button from the toolbar.
- Click the radio button next to System Management Methodology to select the package. If the System Management Methodology deployment does not appear in the list, ensure that the file has been copied to the <install_location>/deployment directory.
- Click Next.
- Click Next again.
- From the “Select the public folders content – New Import wizard” dialog, click the checkbox to select the System Trending package.
- Click Next.
- Click Next again.
- Click Next.
- Accept the default to Save and run once and click Finish.
- From the “Run with options – System Management Methodology” dialog, click Now and ensure that the “Upgrade all report specifications to the latest version” option is selected.
- Click Run.
- Click OK.
- Once the deployment has completed successfully, return to IBM Cognos Connection and browse the folder content structure to the Public Folders > System Management Methodology > System Trending > Dashboard folder.
- Locate the the System Management Dashboard object and click on the More... link.
- On the Perform an action – System Management Dashboard page, click the Add to my portal tabs option.
After the successful completion of these steps, a new tab will be visible. This tab contains the sample dashboards that have been included as part of the System Management Methodology.
Now that the the system trending database has been created and the SMM samples have been imported in IBM Cognos BI, you will need to start populating the system trending database with system metrics data. Review the document titled System Management Methodology For IBM Cognos 10 - System Metrics to learn about IBM Cognos BI system metrics and how to use them for system trending.
|Sample scripts for this article||SMM_For_IBM_Cognos_10-Installation_2014.zip||354KB|