This document is intended to provide a methodology which incorporates publically available utilities (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/support/sdktabv17.html) to help address an issue identified within a specific use case. The use case will be presented as a scenario where an IBM Cognos Support Analyst is working with a client to diagnose and solve a particular issue.
Although the troubleshooting approach outlined is not IBM Cognos version specific, some of the diagnostic utilities used are. The version of the utility to be downloaded will be specific to the IBM Cognos version that is experiencing the issue.
Use Case Description
In this particular scenario, the Support Analyst is asked by a client who is looking for the best method to copy the report between the environments. The client will be creating and saving report in Public Folders on a development environment and once the report is complete the report is to be moved to the production server.
There are two environments, each one a single server install of IBM Cognos 10 running on Windows 2008 Server.
The Support Analyst gets back to the client and describes three different options to copy reports between two IBM Cognos BI environments.
- Export/Import a Deployment – With this method, the IBM Cognos BI administrator must create a deployment in the source environment that contains not only reports but can also contain selected packages, events and data sources. The exported deployment is copied to the target environment and then imported to the source environment.
- Copy and Paste Report Specifications – This is a very manual process that involves copying and pasting report specifications using Report Studio. The process is as follows,
- In the source environment, open the report in Report Studio
- Select the Tools > Copy Report to Clipboard menu item
- In the target environment, create a new blank report in Report Studio
- Select the Tools > Open Report from Clipboard menu item
- Save the report, typically using the same name and location as the source environment
- Repeat for each report that needs to be copied
- Copy Reports Between Servers Utility – This utility allows the IBM Cognos BI administrator to move reports between the two environments with a couple of mouse clicks. This utility can be found at the following URL,
Once the connection information is provided for each of the environments, the utility will display, in a separate window for each environment, the content of the Public Folders. To move a report over, click on a report what about in one environment and then click the arrow button to move it to other environment.
As mentioned above, the report package and the data source definition(s) do not get created on the new environment when using this technique. IBM Cognos BI Administrators will have to make sure that they exist on the target machine before they perform this technique.
Dig deeper into Big data and analytics on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Crazy about Big data and analytics? Sign up for our monthly newsletter and the latest Big data and analytics news.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.