Empower students with database skills for a Smarter
The IBM DB2 Academic Associate program is
exclusively for the university community. The preparation course teaches
relational database concepts while also providing students with
critical, hands-on database skills on IBM’s DB2 and Data Studio
software. Smarter Planet solutions rely on an ever growing amount of
data. Learn how to be smart about managing that data with this no-charge
academic course and IBM exam.
Responsibility for the organization of the IBM DB2 Academic Associate
prep course and the testing requires joint collaboration between IBM and
the university. The faculty contact should work with an existing IBM
contact person, if one exists. Faculty members without a current IBM
contact can email firstname.lastname@example.org to request help identifying an IBM contact
The following steps are needed to provide a class and testing.
- Gather required resources (people and computers)
- Confirm availability of free testing and request DVDs
- Teach the course and allow for student studying
- Request testing support and test the students
Additional details for each step.
- Gather required resources.
- Determine an appropriate and available instructor.
- Determine an appropriate and available IBM proctor for the
- Determine the class manager. The class manager will handle
communications with IBM.
- Ensure a computer lab facility will be available for
- Confirm availability of free testing and request DVDs.
- At least 6 weeks before the course, the class manager
must email email@example.com to
confirm the details of the course.
- Class managers who are IBM employees can find the Class Request
form at the Information Management DB2 Academic Associate
Program page. Other class managers should
email firstname.lastname@example.org to request
this form. This form is used to reserve no-charge testing spaces
for the students who successfully complete an approved course.
Optionally, DVDs can be ordered for the students as an
- Complete the entire course and allow for student studying time.
- Ensure computers are available and installed with the required
software. Detailed instructions on computer setup are included
in the course DVD. The minimum configuration of the
- 1.8+ GHz CPU
- 2.0+ GB RAM
- 25GB+ of free hard drive space after installation of
- VMware workstation 6.5 or VMware Player 2.5.3
- Internet access
- Optionally, print the Course Completion Certificate from the AI
courseware entry, fill out and deliver to all students who
completed all of the course requirements
- Request free testing support and test the students.
- The IBM proctor must request testing support at least 10 days
prior to giving the exam.
- Proctor instructions for testing via the DB2 CAS system are
posted for IBM employees at the Information Management DB2 Academic Associate