This article shows you the procedure for safely migrating your IBM® SmartCloud™ Enterprise Red Hat Enterprise Linux® 5.x or 6.x instances to the SoftLayer environment.
The prerequisites for the migration procedure are:
- A Cloud Path for IBM account. IBM cloud customers who are migrating servers to SoftLayer can sign up for a free account on the Cloud Path registration page.
- An IBM SmartCloud Enterprise account.
- A SoftLayer account.
- Successful completion of the procedure that's described in "Migrate instances from IBM SmartCloud Enterprise to IBM SoftLayer overview."
- All additional storage mounted, and present in /etc/fstab.
See the Cloud Path for IBM Click-Through Tour for details about the migration environment configuration.
Follow these three steps to migrate a Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5.x or 6.x instance to SoftLayer.
Step 1: Download the migration agent
On the Cloud Path for IBM portal, select Download Agent from the Actions menu. Choose Download Linux Agent.
Step 2: Install the migration agent
Upload the agent to the SmartCloud Enterprise Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x or 6.x instance that you want to migrate. After the upload process is complete, perform the following actions on the file:
- Extract the file content (example:
tar -xzvf linux-agent-install-4.3.4-0.tgz).
- Make the file executable (example:
chmod +x linux-agent-install-4.3.4-0.sh).
- Run the executable file (example:
Average time for the agent to connect with the Cloud Path migration server is 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: Migrate the instance
On the Cloud Path for IBM portal, select Migrate from the Actions menu. The instance should be visible in the Source Servers list. Select the instance and click the Migrate button.
From the Target Cloud Domain column, select a SoftLayer data center to migrate your instance to. Select the virtual hardware configuration from the Server Size column. Enter a name for the new server and click Migrate. In the pop-up window, verify that you entered the correct settings and then click Migrate.
Migration times vary depending on server load.
Connecting to the newly migrated instance
After the migration finishes, log into the SoftLayer portal. Using the name that you gave it in Step 3, locate your newly created cloud computing instance (CCI) and get the public IP address that was automatically assigned to it. To connect to the migrated instance, use the same authentication method that you used in SmartCloud Enterprise.
Only the private key(s) that were created in the SmartCloud Enterprise environment can be used to connect to the SoftLayer instance at this point.
Post migration cleanup
The only configuration file for serial TTY used by SoftLayer instances is the start-ttys.conf file. To avoid flooding the syslog with messages related to serial TTYs, remove the following files:
SoftLayer's standard image templates should not be used with migrated RHEL workloads. A resolution is expected soon. In the interim, to create an image template of your RHEL migrated CCI use the SoftLayer Flex image template.
- Find migration resources at IBM SmartCloud Enterprise to SoftLayer migration.
- IBM and Racemi - Accelerating Cloud Adoption: Get more information about the Cloud Path for IBM migration wizard from Racemi.
- Learn more about IBM SoftLayer.
- Explore Cloud computing on developerWorks, where you will find valuable community discussions and learn about new technical resources related to the cloud.
Get products and technologies
- SoftLayer trial: Free cloud server for a month.
- IBM product evaluation versions: Evaluate IBM products by downloading a product trial.
- Review known issues with SCE to SoftLayer migration in the SCE Support Community Forum.
- Get involved in the developerWorks community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.