Innovate 2013: The IBM Technical Summit provides more than 450 outcome-driven sessions, a cutting-edge Expo, labs, and certifications. In this short article, you'll find Innovate resources and a few appropriate resources from the developerWorks network to supplement your learning experience.
Session tracks: Practical guidance, immediate results
- Technical Exchange @Innovate. This stream is designed for software practitioners and product and systems engineers to exchange strategies, tips, and techniques to improve the individual productivity for all professionals engaged in software, systems, and product development. Sessions in this stream offer tangible, implementable strategies which return quantifiable benefits that improve individual efficiency and quality and reduce risk and time to market.
- Team Directions @Innovate. This stream is dedicated to improving the efficiency of product development and software delivery teams. Sessions in this stream focus on the current state of product and software development, team dynamics, and broad reaching strategies that focus on the interrelationships between the different roles and the different organizations that must come together to deliver products, systems, and software.
The Technical Exchange stream is development business as usual, focusing on how to accomplish a technical goal; the Team Directions concerns itself with sharpening and refining between development team members' interactions.
Let's look at some of the cloud-oriented tracks in these sessions.
Technical Exchange @Innovate
Although you can probably find cloud-oriented sessions in any of the individual tracks, some of the tracks are ripe with cloud development knowledge, including application development, architecture and design, model-based systems engineering, building and deploying, and mobile development.
Application development. The application development sessions explore agile, traditional, and hybrid methods for end-to-end design, development, testing and deployment of software for professionals building enterprise web applications, apps for mobile platforms, delivering applications to the cloud, or integrating software across multi-platform systems to create new systems-of-systems. To prepare you for these conference insights, try the following developerWorks resources:
- "Develop applications in the IBM SmartCloud® Enterprise using Rational software"
- "Develop cloud applications with Rational tools: Use Rational life cycle management tools on SmartCloud Enterprise to develop a web app"
- "Develop software faster with continuous integration: Examine the practice of continuous integration using IBM SmartCloud Enterprise as the framework"
- "Configure a complex cloud app test system using IBM Workload Deployer and Collaborative Application Lifecycle Management"
Architecture and design/Model-based systems engineering. In addition to treating architecture and design as a discreet topic and a model-based approach as critical to success, these sessions focus on architectural frameworks; they also focus on patterns and practices that aid in the creation of robust, resilient software architectures. Here are a few developerWorks resources:
- "Explore virtual patterns"
- "Create and customize virtual application patterns"
- "Manage the topology with virtual system patterns: Virtual system patterns capture years of cloud infrastructure-management expertise"
- "Design a virtual system pattern: Key considerations for planning and designing your virtual system pattern"
- "Cloud scaling: Tour high-performance cloud system design advances"
- "Develop applications using a collaborative, user-centric model"
Build and deploy. To streamline the flow of information and remove critical bottlenecks, you can automate the software assembly and delivery processes in an agile way through best practices and policies. Here are some developerWorks resources:
- "Integrate applications in a cloud appliance: 18 practices: Best practices to help you install an appropriately configured application in a cloud appliance"
- "Optimize cloud application delivery systems: Make the most of the virtual infrastructure with traffic management"
- "Minimize complexity in cloud migration: Use application delivery controllers as a service to enable fast roll-out of new cloud and mobile apps"
- "Automate the build and release process on the IBM Cloud using Rational Build Forge"
- "Deploy new applications on IBM PureSystems™ with plug-ins: Design considerations and development efforts to enable a real-world SugarCRM solution"
- "Accelerate service delivery with cloud image and service catalogs"
Mobile development. A cloud without a strong working mobile component is only taking advantage of a small percentage of the cloud's potential. The sessions in this track address solutions to manage the complexity of developing and testing mobile applications in an agile team environment. Check out the following developerWorks resources:
- "Craft a security policy for a cloud-based BYOD environment"
- "Secure access for Android devices: Set up an Android mobile device to securely access an IBM Cloud instance"
- "Parse cloud-based services for Android apps: Cloud store and query users, data objects, and files in your Android applications"
- "Use a MEAP to solve the many-device-to-many-platform mobile application integration challenge"
- "Eight steps to IBM Worklight mobile application development"
Team Directions @Innovate
Again, there are cloud-related resources in each of the tracks, but the following can potentially present lots of knowledge for cloud practitioners.
Agile and DevOps. Leveraging agile has proven to gives organizations a competitive edge, allowing them to deliver working products faster with higher quality. Sessions cover the spectrum of the agile journey, including tips for successful agile adoption, techniques for extending agile practices to large and distributed teams and practical guidance on how to effectively scale agile to address issues such as regulatory compliance, outsourcing, and complex multi-platform and embedded systems development.
The DevOps sessions address best practices for aligning development and operations, including collaboration and communication strategy, process integration and automation, application performance optimization, and cooperative problem life cycle management.
To get you started on this journey, check out the following resources:
- "Agile DevOps: Transient environments manage the illusion of infinite capacity to reduce environment scarcity"
- "Agile DevOps: Continuous software delivery in the cloud"
- "Agile predictive analytics on IBM SmartCloud Enterprise: Learn how to tap into the future using past data patterns from your cloud"
- "Develop software faster with continuous integration"
- "The DevOps distilled series"
- "Extend Rational Quality Manager to manage lab assets in the cloud"
- "The Agile DevOps series"
Big data. Remember, 2.5 quintillion bytes of new data every day; coming from everything and from everywhere. The sessions at Innovate help you learn how to leverage big data to improve existing processes, detect potential problems more quickly, and understand how customers feel about your products and services. Some resources to get you started:
- "Extend your secure development process to the cloud and big data"
- "Data science in the cloud: A Python perspective"
- "Ten considerations for a cloud-based big data solution"
- "Deploy an OpenStack private cloud to a Hadoop MapReduce environment"
- "Analyze and optimize cloud cluster performance"
Cloud itself. These sessions focus on IBM SmartCloud and IBM Rational offerings that leverage the cloud to deliver development and test environments or simplify and accelerate software delivery, exploring how clients can successfully establish the right foundation of public, private, or hybrid cloud environments. See the next section for resources on this intersection of technology and product.
Life cycle management. The goal is to increase quality AND deliver faster AND reduce cost; even in the face of growing development environment complexity. Oh, and don't forget the expanding demand for more functionality and desire to increase input into the process from more people at more entry points. These sessions focus on best practices and new and redesigned capabilities to help connect these previously disconnected activities. There are resources on this topic in the section on Rational products.
Mobile delivery. Although some aspects of mobile applications development are the same as that of traditional software, mobile development and delivery has many unique challenges and these sessions focus on those challenges by detailing comprehensive team-based mobile development life cycle solutions that help ensure that applications are delivered on-time with high quality and meet business objectives. See the previous section for resources on this intersection of technology and access.
Other learning resources at Innovate
Among learning resources besides the session tracks, you'll find:
- Scrum team training: Certification as a ScrumMaster and a one-day session on Rational Team Concert for Scrum Teams and Agile Processes. You can actually try Rational Team Concert on SmartCloud.
- Mini-main tent events: Includes a session on Accelerating Software and Service Delivery through the Power of Cloud Computing which focuses on the open standards approach ... IBM Software Standards/Cloud Labs VP Angel Diaz just delivered a strategy report on that very topic.
- Workshops: Includes a session called Deploy Cloud Applications Using IBM SmartCloud Services, IBM's public platform as a service. Our own Dominique Vernier takes you on a tour of these services in Explore IBM SmartCloud Application Services.
Rational software and the cloud
This is a Rational-sponsored conference and Rational products provide lots of automated shortcuts to help you design, build, and deliver applications and services to a cloud environment, as well as help you manage a cloud ecosystem. Some examples from a technical perspective include:
- Collaborative Lifecycle Management, a technique and product that deals with the cloud environment:
- "Migrate Collaborative Lifecycle Management applications to a cluster series"
- "Application lifecycle management with Rational ClearQuest series"
- "Integrating Rational Focal Point with Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management applications series"
- "Collaborative Lifecycle Management and IBM Rational Reporting for Development Intelligence series"
- "Integrate Rational Focal Point with Collaborative Lifecycle Management applications"
- "Pragmatic architecture for agile application lifecycle management"
- "Access your private infrastructure securely from a cloud environment with a VPN"
- "SmartCloud Enterprise management series" (multiple Rational products)
- "Enterprise architecture in the age of cloud services" (Rational System Architect)
- "Compare performance of virtual agents with real ones: Run Rational Performance Tester agents on a VM to compare the agent performance levels"
- "Craft a SaaS-oriented web application vulnerability mitigation policy" (Rational AppScan)
- Learn more about cloud computing technologies at cloud at developerWorks.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
- Watch developerWorks demos ranging from product installation and setup demos for beginners, to advanced functionality for experienced developers.
Get products and technologies
- Access IBM SmartCloud Enterprise.
- Evaluate IBM products in the way that suits you best: Download a product trial, try a product online, use a product in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement Service Oriented Architecture efficiently.
- Get involved in the developerWorks community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.
Dig deeper into Cloud computing on developerWorks
Exclusive tools to build your next great app. Learn more.
Crazy about Cloud? Sign up for our monthly newsletter and the latest cloud news.
Deploy public cloud instances in as few as 5 minutes. Try the SoftLayer public cloud instance for one month.