IBM envisioned Bluemix as a system that would answer the needs and challenges facing line-of-business application developers, their business counterparts, and users:
- For developers, this means a system that significantly reduces the time needed to create and provision the application. It allows for flexible capacity in terms of storage, as well as deliver flexible capacity for bandwidth and processing. It handles the back-end infrastructure without requiring the developer to spend valuable time managing it. Developers can concentrate on what they do best — developing innovative, top-quality applications.
- For businesses, this means a system that allows line-of-business users to easily create applications without needing a high level of technical know-how, enabling businesses to rapidly adjust to customer requests by leveraging the flexibility cloud applications provide, such as instant updates, new features, and automatic deployment.
- For users, this means their needs are addressed almost as soon as they make them known — through quickly updated or new applications that enable new features.
“Bluemix has all the elasticity the cloud promises us”
Figure 1. Bluemix enables application capacity, control, creation, and consumption in the cloud
The Bluemix platform lets developers, businesses, and end-users explore the cloud application capabilities that will power the next generation of cloud applications and services. An application can be traditional, social, mobile -- or a combination of all three -- and include big data requirements. Regardless of the composition of capabilities, the application built on Bluemix will contain the following attributes:
- Reduced provisioning needs (app or infrastructure)
- Flexible capacity
- Automated technical tasks
- Varied workload types
In the video, IBM Program Director, Emerging Technology David Barnes takes you on a tour of IBM Bluemix. He shows you how Bluemix removes much of the infrastructure complexity and allows the developer to get right down to the "business" of programming an application. See Resources and start exploring Bluemix today.
- Get started with IBM Bluemix.
- Explore how the use of the cloud in retail can create real business value in this article, Bluemix: The evolution of the cloud in retail.
- Explore new media resources on developerWorks.
- IBM Emerging Technologies YouTube channel keeps you informed on new technologies from IBM.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
- Watch developerWorks demos ranging from product installation and setup demos for beginners, to advanced functionality for experienced developers.
Get products and technologies
- Evaluate IBM products in the way that suits you best: Download a product trial or try a product online.
- Get involved in the developerWorks community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.
Dig deeper into Cloud computing on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Complete cloud software, infrastructure, and platform knowledge.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Deploy public cloud instances in as few as 5 minutes. Try the SoftLayer public cloud instance for one month.