What is BPM?
Business process management is all about collaborating between business and IT to build better processes to increase business agility and improve customer satisfaction. With IBM BPM solutions, you can optimize business performance by documenting, deploying and continuously improving end-to-end business processes.
To get started with BPM, you need to focus on delivering business value. Take an incremental approach that allows you to quickly prove value with a single project, build competency and skills, and extend across the enterprise. One particularly effective approach to BPM adoption is the Center of Excellence (COE) approach.
Business process management roadmap
IBM BPM has four focus areas: business monitor, process automation, decision management, and process discovery and design, includes the following key products:
- IBM Business Process Manager is a comprehensive BPM platform that gives you visibility and insight to manage your business processes. It scales smoothly and easily from an initial project to a full enterprise-wide program. Read articles and tutorials on IBM Business Process Manager for both business and technical users.
- IBM Business Monitor provides end-to-end business process and activity monitoring along with dashboards representing insight that can be used in process optimization. Read articles about IBM Business Monitor for both business and technical users.
- IBM Operational Decision Manager integrates business events and business rules to automate decisions across processes and applications.
- IBM Case Manager unites information, process, and people to provide a 360-degree view of case information and achieve optimized outcomes.
- Blueworks Live is a cloud-based BPM tool that enables collaboration and process automation. Read articles about Blueworks Live.
For resources on IBM business process management for both business and IT users, see the developerWorks Business process management zone.
The quarterly IBM BPM Journal is another great source for BPM articles and columns.
Improve your skills
- Choose a specific training path for the skill or certification that you want to explore from the BPM training paths page.
- Find out how to get BPM professional certification from WebSphere Education.
How can I learn more about BPM?
Bookmark and visit the developerWorks BPM zone to learn more about the IBM BPM platform and tools, whether you're a just beginning your BPM journey or are already an expert. This site is updated every week with the latest BPM-related events, product announcements, articles, tutorials, trial downloads, and more.
IBM Redbooks typically provide positioning and value guidance, installation and implementation experiences, typical solution scenarios, and step-by-step "how-to" guidelines. They often include sample code and other support materials that are also available as downloads from this site.
IBM Press books address the wide range of WebSphere products and services, architectures, and business solutions. With books designed to help users prepare for WebSphere certifications, master the implementation and support of a diverse range of WebSphere products and solutions, and educate business leaders.