Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
The IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager simplifies the management of virtual environments across multiple virtualization technologies and hardware platforms. VMControl is a leading multi-platform virtualization management solution that is included with IBM Systems Director Editions. VMControl has the support for three types of interfaces (GUI, CLI and REST APIs). This series has the following topics:
- Multi-disk management for virtual servers: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing operations related to multi-disk management of a virtual server. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to add or remove disk, to or from the virtual servers.
- Multi-disk management for creating virtual appliances and revision control: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing multi-disk management to create virtual appliances and revision control while capture. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to perform multi-disk capture and version control of a virtual appliance during the capture process.
- Multi-disk management for deploying workloads: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing multi-disk management to deploy a workload. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to perform modifications and mapping of the disk during deployment.
This series will help all the VMControl exploiters to understand the VMControl multi-disk management functionality through REST and CLI.
Multi-disk management and revision control for capturing virtual appliances includes the following major operations both using REST APIs and the command line interface:
- Capture a virtual appliance along with the disk
- Capture a virtual appliance and perform revision control
This is the flow diagram for multi-disk management and revision control for capturing virtual appliances using IBM Systems Director VMControl
Figure 1. Multi Disk management for capture virtual appliance
Figure 2. Revision Control for capture virtual appliance
The main objective of this tutorial is to help exploiters understand the capture virtual appliance with multi-disk and revision control. It will help the exploiters with some real-world examples for capturing a virtual appliance with disks and revision control.
You should have IBM Systems Director V6.x.x installed on your system before proceeding. This tutorial assumes that you are familiar with using IBM Systems Director. It also assumes that you have a reasonable understanding of JSON and how to make HTTP GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE calls using your favorite HTTP client and fare understanding of smcli command of VMControl. This tutorial also assumes that you have basic understanding of the virtual appliance resource of VMControl.
You should have the following components on your system:
- Installed and configured copy of IBM Systems Director
- IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager activated
- HTTP Client to run remote requests
- Putty to run the CLI commands