Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
The IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager simplifies the management of virtual environments across multiple virtualization technologies and hardware platforms. VMControl is a leading multi-platform virtualization management solution that is included with IBM Systems Director Editions. VMControl has the support for three types of interfaces (GUI, CLI and REST APIs). This series has the following topics:
- Multi-disk management for virtual servers: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing operations related to multi-disk management of a virtual server. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to add or remove disk, to or from the virtual servers.
- Multi-disk management for creating virtual appliance and revision control: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing multi-disk management to create virtual appliance and revision control while capture. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to perform multi-disk capture and version control of a virtual appliance while capture.
- Multi-disk management for deploying workloads: This tutorial addresses the problems faced by the end user while performing multi-disk management to deploy a workload. End users with little knowledge on the customization table parameters finds it difficult to perform modification and mapping of the disk during deployment.
This series will help all the VMControl users to understand the VMControl multi-disk management functionality through REST and CLI.
Multi-disk management for deploying workload includes the following major operations both using REST APIs and CLI:
- Multiple disk support while deploying to system pool
- Multiple disk support while deploying to host
This is the flow diagram for multi-disk management for deploying workload using IBM Systems Director VMControl.
Figure 1. Multi-disk management during workload deployment
The main objective of this tutorial is to help users understand the deployment of workload multi-disk functionality. It can help the users with some real-time examples for multiple disk support for the workload deployment operation.
smcli command of VMControl. This tutorial also assumes that you have a fair understanding of workload and virtual appliance resource of VMControl.
You should have the following components on your system:
- Installed and configured copy of IBM Systems Director
- IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager activated
- HTTP Client to run remote requests
- Putty to run the CLI commands