Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
The IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager simplifies the management of virtual environments across multiple virtualization technologies and hardware platforms. VMControl is a leading multi-platform virtualization management solution that is included with IBM Systems Director Editions. VMControl has the support for three types of interfaces (GUI, CLI and REST APIs). This series talks about the VMControl resources lifecycle through REST.
This series has the following lifecycles:
- Virtual server lifecycle management through the VMControl REST APIs: This covers the lifecycle (create, view, edit, and delete) management of a virtual server. It highlights the capabilities of VMControl Express Edition, the free portion of VMControl.
- Virtual appliance lifecycle management through the VMControl REST APIs: This covers the lifecycle management of a virtual appliance. A virtual appliance is an operating system image and metadata that is capable of being remotely installed (deployed) on a new or existing virtual server.
- Image deployment through the VMControl REST APIs: This walks through a typical deploy process and the workload lifecycle management of the workload created using this deploy process.
- Server system pool lifecycle management through the VMControl REST APIs: This covers the lifecycle management of a server system pool and its virtual server relocation capabilities. A server system pool is a grouping of similar physical servers (hosts) – VMControl version of a cloud. VMControl chooses which host to deploy to and allows for relocation of virtual servers within the server system pool.
This series will help all the VMControl users to understand the VMControl functionality through REST. It will also help to understand the detailed flow of the resource lifecycle.
This tutorial illustrates the life cycle of virtual appliance using the VMControl REST APIs. The lifecycle of a virtual appliance has the following major functions:
- Create an image repository to store virtual appliances
- Create a virtual appliance by capture
- Create a virtual appliance by import
- Modify a virtual appliance
- Delete a virtual appliance
Figure 1 explains the virtual appliance lifecycle in detail with the sequence of different REST requests.
Figure 1. Virtual appliance lifecycle management
The main objective of this tutorial is to help users understand the virtual appliance lifecycle management using the VMControl REST APIs. The tutorial describes the complete lifecycle with the purview of using it with IBM System Director VMControl. Users with the basic knowledge about virtual appliance and IBM Systems Director VMControl can walk through the tutorial easily.
DELETE calls using your favorite HTTP client.
You should have the following components on your system.
- An installed and configured copy of IBM Systems Director
- IBM Systems Director VMControl advanced manager activated
- HTTP Client to run remote requests