In IBM’s view, today’s networked economy has created a global business landscape and a mandate for business change. It also opens the opportunity to upgrade the efficiency and effectiveness of the global infrastructure through embedded information technology — what IBM calls a “smarter planet.” Smart airports, smart highways, smart supply chains are all possible. IBM is working with clients and governments around the world to explore these opportunities and implement new ideas.
Integrated global economies have opened markets of new opportunity and new sources of skills. The Internet has enabled communication and collaboration across the world and brought with it a new computing model premised on continuous global connection. In that landscape, companies can distribute work and technology anywhere in the world. IBM continues to adjust its footprint toward emerging geographies, tapping their higher growth, providing the technology infrastructure they need and taking advantage of the talent pools they provide to better service the company’s clients.
At the same time, the current economic crisis increases the pressure on both businesses and governments around the world to adapt. The needs for additional transparency, security and efficiencies are clear.
Given these opportunities and economic challenges, IBM is working with its clients to develop new business designs and technical architectures that allow their businesses the flexibility required to compete in this new landscape. IBM’s strategy addresses this new era and delivers value to its clients through three strategic priorities:
Focus on Open Technologies and High-Value Solutions
A new computing model has emerged, replacing the PC-based, client/server approach. This new model is networked, modular, open and represents a fundamental shift in the technology requirements of the company’s clients. IBM is well positioned to provide its enterprise clients the open technologies and high-value solutions they will need to compete.
- IBM is leveraging its leadership position in the convergence of software and services, in service oriented architecture (SOA), in virtualization, in business intelligence and analytics, in open and modular information technology (IT) — continuing its shift from commoditizing segments to higher value segments with better profit opportunity.
- The company continues to be a leading force in open source solutions to enable its clients to achieve higher levels of interoperability, cost efficiency and quality.
Deliver Integration and Innovation to Clients
Changes in the market have caused IBM’s clients to seek flexibility and innovation in everything from technical architecture to their business model. In response, IBM is focused on delivering integration and innovation to its clients — offering them technologies and services that support real value creation.
- IBM has a long heritage of transforming the business operations of large enterprises and has earned the trust to be their innovation partner and global integrator.
- The company has an extensive set of global assets and capabilities it is applying to improve services profitability, both for its clients and for itself.
Become the Premier Globally Integrated Enterprise
As global networks and technology capabilities change business economics, legacy business designs can quickly become noncompetitive. IBM believes a globally integrated enterprise, designed for this new landscape, can compete effectively and will benefit from the opportunities offered.
- To reshape its business for the global economy, IBM has replaced vertical hierarchies with horizontally integrated teams.
- Across the business, the company has made significant investments in emerging markets, taking core processes and functions that were once managed regionally and shifting them to a globally integrated model.
Looking forward, IBM is confident it understands the economic shift of globalization, the evolution of the new computing model and the powerful role of innovation in this new landscape. Its unique capabilities are well adapted to help the company’s clients innovate and compete effectively in this new environment.